Friday, July 12, 2013

BIRTH OF LOVE AND HATRED

    Human brain is even more complex than a computer hard disk. Each person has different behaviour pattern, attributes, virtues and qualities. What a person thinks can never be imagined or known to other person. A personality has both negative and positive side and it affects the others in the society and even helps a person to grow negative or positive in life. I can say that love and hatred are offshoot of a person's behaviour. It is thus said" love begets love" and "hatred begets hatred". It means is that in order to be loved, you must be willing to love. It's similar to love is a two-way street"; you can't expect to be loved if you won't love that person in return. I will discuss a few incidents of my life which had strong impact on my life.

   When I was a small boy of six or seven year old, once one of my uncle brought a packet of biscuit and he wanted to give a few biscuits to me. He called me but suddenly my aunt appeared, snatched the packet from the hands of my uncle and went inside the home. I could not move ahead and came back to my mother.  This had a very serious impact on my thinking towards my aunt. I always kept myself away from my uncle's family. During one of my visit to Andaman, I had gone to another Island and on return from there, the bus had to pass through the village where my uncle's family reside. The bus use to stop for about ten fifteen minutes. Someone told my aunt that I am in the bus and she came and asked me to step down from the bus. She took me home and treated me nicely. But inspite of this, the past incident haunted me again and again. On the next day I came my home gave a serious thought to the changed behaviour of my aunt. I thought and thought for many years and I decided to forgive her past behaviour.

    During our middle school days, we never use to take tiff-en to school and during lunch break we will eat only the snacks given by the school. Often we will come out of school campus for a sort walk. There were Forest and PWD camps close to school and quite often someone may feed us whatsoever was available with them.  This acts of people had too strong impact and taught me to generous towards another person.

    Yet, there is one memory in my mind of a person. He had come to Andaman from Orissa and my parents gave him shelter at our home. My mother and his title was same so we use to call him "Mamaji" or "Mamu". When he had come, he had no money and no clothes to wear. He had reached our home hungry and thirsty. Over a period of time, he got a regular job in Agriculture Department and got a posting in Port Blair where I was studying.  Whenever, he will meet me, he will take out a Rs.10/- note and put it in my pocket. In December 1982, I got a job too. When I met him once he did the same thing which he was doing earlier. He put a Rs.10/- note in my pocket.  I resisted and told him that now I am employed. His behaviour and reply was great. He said, " So what if your employed. You are still child for me."

    These incidents taught me to forgive others, love others and share with others with a generous heart.

    

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Vincent,

Just stumbled on your blog when I was googling for Carmel school Port Blair.

Nice reading several of your posts. Interesting that you lived at Nirmala Boys hostel - I lived near that area and we would come to the Nirmala playground and play cricket in the evenings (around 1985-88). There would always be boarders from the hostel at the playground, some of whom would join us. Interesting.

I have been in the US for about 15 years now and just went to Port Blair after 12 years a few months ago. We go to India regularly, just not to PB as all my family moved back to the mainland many years ago.

Regards

Dr. Vincent Barla said...

Nice but you didnot mention your name. I had left Port Blair in 1985 but till then every sunday we use to go to church.