Thursday, June 27, 2013

Affectionate Motherly Love

     World is full of relationships where one find love for each other. Being a Christian, we do not believe in horoscopes but when Information Technology came in, one can get his/her horoscope easily  for free. Someone got a horoscope of mine also. Once I decided to read it and found one prediction " You will be fed by two mothers". When I went my home town, once I asked my mother about its truth and my mother told me that when we had settled in Andaman the cultivation and reaping was done jointly by all villagers. Parents will work in the field and they will leave the small children in a hut nearby. When a child will cry for milk, mothers will come, feed them and go back to work.  Our neighborhood family had a daughter named Janet who was of my age.  So when Janet will cry, her mother will come, feed her and feed me as well. The prediction was 100% correct in my case. This woman to whom I used to call Nani always showed her love to me till she was alive.

   A peasant's family has a very hectic schedule during harvest seasons and everyone has to contribute something and our studies was just a secondary issue. In 1976, I passed out 8th standard from my Island's School and since it was desire of my parents that I become a Priest, I was to leave home a after my Eldest brother's marriage. No barat went and the in-laws of my elder brother brought the bride to my Island and marriage was blessed in the local church. My bhabhiji's name was Jacinta Minj. I even could not talk to her because on the next day I departed for Port Blair. I was to proceed to Kolkata to join an Apostolic School in Gumla, Jharkhand. Unfortunately, I could not get a ticket of the ship and had to come back home. I lived at home for sometime but could become familiar with bhabhiji. I joined Nirmala School in Port Blair and my visit to my home Island was only during Dushara, Christmas and Summer Vacation. She was very cool and simple lady. She will help my mother in whatsoever way it was possible for her. Slowly we became good friends. Whenever, I will go home she will take care of me, feed us like his sons and wash my clothes before I leave for Port Blair. In turn, whenever I used to be at home, I will help her cooking and will try to see that she gets sometime for rest.

     This continued for next 11 years. When I came Delhi and visited home first time, I took a Sari for her. I just asked her, "Did you like it?" She just replied, " Jab tum laye ho to mai pasand nahi karungi kya?". A year after this in 1988, I went for my marriage. There was some impediments in our marriage and seemed marriage will not take place. My father was also annoyed because my marriage proposal was being delayed by girl's side. He refused to go for further talk with the girl's side. Seeing this, I went to my bhabhiji and told her that I am leaving for Delhi because I have exhausted my leave and I will marry after 1990 because in 1990, I had to appear for Section Officer's Departmental Exam. She didnot say anything but calmly went to my father and requested for one more effort to which my father agreed. She came to me and said, "Marry this time because if you delay it, I will not be able to see your marriage." I asked her why? and she insisted  her words and I had to finally agree. This time, the matter was settled and in sort time, my marriage took place and came back Delhi.

    One day me, my house owner and my wife were dining in the night and someone knocked the backdoor with much force. My house owner went and opened the door but no one was there. Again someone knocked the door with great force and I ran towards the door but again no one was there.  Since nothing happened we took our dinner and went to our beds.It was the month of December, 1988. On the next day my elder brother sent me a telegram, informing me that she died after her delievery because the child had already died before he could born. I then recalled her words as to why she had said those words before my marriage and why she had insisted too much for my marriage. I sincerely believe  she had premonition of her death.

    But it was not an end. Frequently she will appear me in my dreams and will not utter any thing. This continued for very long time. I offered many masses for her soul but nothing stopped those dreams. I even went to her tomb and prayed for her soul when I visited first time in 1996 after her death and next time she appeared very cheerful in my dreams. But even after that she will continue to appear in my dreams. I just tried to understand as to what she wanted from me. In fact she had left behind her two daughters and as I could imagine and understand her soul was asking for my help to see that her two daughters settle down in their lives.  The elder niece had no issue even after her marriage and after consulting my wife, I brought her for treatment in Delhi. She has now two sons meaning there by that I have two grandsons.  My second niece too joined a congregation to become a nun.  With this, it is almost 4-5 years now, she never appeared in my dreams. I hope and belief she is enjoying the peace of heaven with our Savior. I always cherish the love and affection which was purely motherly one in my life and thank God for giving me such a nice bhabhiji in my life.

   

No comments: